GM/GN DAOists! In this post I outline my thoughts on the DTF, my tenure as DPM so far, and begin a conversation on a path forward regarding DAO project management.
I would like to begin by thanking the OG DTF members and their commitment to the community. The DTF has helped frens throw cool events for the community, fund valuable community initiatives, and later crafted a DPM position which has allowed for much less friction with the funding process.
The points made in Dr.Wagmi’s post are part of an iterative process. I also agree we need to implement DAO management tools such as Wonderverse or Dework to be fully effective at the points he mentioned. The “weaknesses, opportunities, threats’’ outlined would be addressed through direct PM leadership, DAO tooling (Dework/Wonderverse), and a proposal review group.
With the DTF budget almost fully utilized, DTF lead stepping down, and the Aavegotchi DAO Foundation close to launch, it makes sense to discuss what exactly we are trying to achieve with satellite committees like the DTF. Based on my experience and opinion, a DAO Project funding group should:
Provide seed funding for projects trying to get to pre-Alpha or Alpha. Subsequent funding would be done through community fundraisers, Aavegotchi DAO proposals, Gitcoin grants, or relevant web3 funding groups.
Fund community-suggested bounties which the DAO would see valuable for the protocol (ex. Developing the Aavegotchi Respec potion)
Fund community initiatives which result in increased engagement with the protocol, awareness of Aavegotchi, or increase player enjoyment (ex. Guild or Scholar summits)
Review larger budget requests beyond the scope of the Project committee and “endorse ‘’ vetted proposals going through Aavegotchi DAO; a talented group of reviewers would be able to assess the feasibility of the proposal and advocate for it if the project passes the review.
DAO Project Committee Structure
Lead: DAO Project Manager
- Maintaining up-to-date bounty board for things the DAO has decided to fund
- Work with grants review team to endorse or review specific grants
- Build and maintain relationships with individuals capable of completing bounties
- Process Grant applications and ensuring applicants are replied to in a timely manner
- Serve as a point of accountability for funded bounties and grants
- Run or contribute to Sunday DAO meetings or other designated DAO meetings to review active projects, status of funded grants, active bounties, etc
- Provide a written weekly DAO update and a Substack blog for its publication
Reviewers: Four Members with backgrounds in either Software development, Project planning, Accounting,or Data aggregation & Analytics
- Sign Multi-Sig transactions once a week
- 100 GHST a month base pay for signing transactions
- Be available to take on Grant review bounties ranging from 25-300 GHST, based on the skills and time required to review the Grant
- Endorse vetted Grants, advocate for vetted proposals at DAO meetings or async in Discord
- Must attend at least one out of four DAO meetings per month
Contributor pool: Unlimited cap on how many members can join. Must have a relevant skill set tagged on a work platform (like Dework) to accept or apply for specific bounties.
- Must maintain a clean standing with Aavegotchi DAO and adhere to the DAO code of conduct
- Contributors are not required to take on a specific bounties, no strict requirements on accepting or rejecting a bounty by contributors
- Once a bounty is claimed the individual must be able to complete the task within the agreed delivery window.
- Contributor reputations can be tracked through DAO work platforms, individuals who take bounties and deliver high quality work will build a reputation. Top contributors on the Dework leaderboard could be awarded with DAO parcels, Custom FG cards or even Alchemica tokens
- Regular DAO contributors are awarded bounties paid out over a 12 week period, followed by a review of the work completed, milestones accomplished, ect.
- Regular contributor bounties can be applied for by new applicants when a current payee no longer delivers, no longer accepts bounties, or has reached a certain number of consecutive payouts
This is the model Dework is built around, so adopting their tooling would fit perfectly with this model. Specific roles I mentioned above would be assigned through Discord and imported into Dework, for example. I feel like the contributor leaderboard could be a huge hit.
The DAO Project Committee would request a budget to cover operational expenses, PM compensation for 12 months, and a budget to disburse towards community initiatives, Grants and Bounties
- 1500 GHST paid bi-weekly over a one-year period. Term of 12 months with an annual review as defined by the current DAO Standard Operating Procedure
- Currently 300 GHST per week is disbursed to contributors for aggregating data, creating Miro boards, Live streaming, and maintaining a Podcast RSS feed for DAO meetings. I would like to leave room for adjustments. Allotting up to 400 GHST/week total at my discretion.
- Capped at 20,000 GHST drawdown per quarter
- Comes from the 100,000 grants & bounties allotment
- Used to seed-fund projects getting to proof-of-concept or early Alpha
- Any organisation, guild, or project group may apply for funding. Approval is at the discretion of the PM and his/her designated review committee
- Capped at 2000 GHST drawdown per assignment
- Comes from the 100,000 GHST grants & bounties allotment
- Used to fund DAO related work such as reviewing grants (capped at 300 GHST)
- May range from small requests ( DAO media kit) to large requests (Smart contract development for respec potion)
- Bounties are typically issued by the DAO, with specific work to be done (suggestions welcome)
Total: 159,000 GHST
The total budget request would cover Project manager compensation, operational costs for one year, and 100,000 GHST to be used towards grant and bounty disbursements.
The Project Manager will provide a quarterly balance sheet during a Sunday DAO meeting, update the DAO on Grant and Bounty status,and share some highlights or “big wins”, as well as areas of improvement (if there are any).
- Will use Gnosis Safe
- Myself with four reviewers
- The five of us will be doxed to PixelCraft
- 4 out of 5 to sign off on txns
During my tenure over the last three months as DAO project manager, and being in various leadership roles for 10+ years, I’ve come to recognize the incredible value our community generates in the shadows, with no outside funding, spending their spare hours late at night or after work crafting something special for Gotchigang.
The grind shall continue. However, In the depths of these markets I hope the DAO Project committee can make you feel recognized for your time and effort put towards the protocol. Ultimately, we want to generate value for our protocol, and we’ll do that by valuing Gotchigang members building on top of Aavegotchi.
Thank you for taking the time to read this incredibly long post! Looking forward to hearing your responses.