Eliminating XP for posting sigprops

How would it work exactly? My initial thought it that it would be asking for people spamming posts to try to get the most xp possible.

Youā€™re fixing something thatā€™s not actually a real problem hereā€¦ after you mess up your first prop, you figure out that you should do better. None of this actually stops people from Leroy Jenkins movesā€¦ if you donā€™t like the prop that was posted, redo it yourself, or donā€™t vote on it.

The best way to get it done, is make a thread, identify the other side, involve them, and be done with it.

The feedback loop is fast and effective at teaching people to do it right. Maybe updating the ā€œhow toā€ section is in order, as it leaves a lot to the imagination.

Also, the prop that you are talking about, just needs the vault to weigh in and it passes if they have similar results, soā€¦

3 Likes

Youā€™re fixing something thatā€™s not actually a real problem hereā€¦

As I said, Iā€™ve only helped with 2 sigprops and theyā€™ve both caused some sort of drama, itā€™s not something I plan on revisiting and I doubt Iā€™m the only one who feels that way.

Also, just looking at the vaultā€™s voting, their top voting option is currently a ā€œnullā€ option. This vote needs to be reposted.

Nothing is stopping you :slight_smile:

@eMM Can you please post a shorter version with the questions clarified?

OR someone do it. Thereā€™s XP for whoever gets it right. What if we normalize having competing props for same thing, instead of getting hung up on if someone did it perfectly? Part of the mechanic of allowing competing propositions, is that whichever person(s) can craft the clearest messaging with the best mechanics, will have their version go through.

Nothing is stopping you :slight_smile:

You sure? Last time we tried to repost one that was already up, snapshot wouldnā€™t let us.

Would it be technically possible to have a ā€žcompetition of sig-propsā€œ: there could be a multitude of sig-props, the DAO-members would vote which one they liked best, those who voted for the winning sig-prop would receive a small amount of XP (maybe 5).

But I guess that this could even more aggravate the situation, that non-native-speakers of English are somewhat excluded from the proposal-creation-process.

Anyway, creating a sig-prop is valuable work and should be rewarded.

I have to say, PC/Aavegotchi team have done a pretty great job filtering out some BS proposals being posted in the past

There was a great guide written in the early days on how to Submit a propā€¦ I even made a video on it

Might be time for a refresher, along with some accompanying Docs in the new Directory

2 Likes

It would take work, we would need to have better moderation in the forums to keep track of things

Something like a minimum character limit is a start but it wouldnā€™t be enough to stop troll posts

Hey GotchiGang,
I am jumping in to share some thoughts as well.
Thanks @Xeko for starting this discussion.

First of all, @Hefes proposal to refresh the guide on writing and submitting a prop is a no-brainer regardless of the outcome of this discussion. This should be supported with a grant or done by the future DAO manager. The DAO manager could help with moderation in the forums in the future as well.
I do like the competing prop system idea: A competing sig pro system will cause quite some chaos but the pro of it would be that it takes time for the voters to read through the different sig props and decide the best written. During that process, the voters will learn about the sig prop topic and become better decision-makers.

I would not reward writers of (chosen) sig props with XP in general.
In cases of simple/quickly written props, no XP is needed (do it for the fame). If more work is involved, the writer/s can opt to apply for a grant. Highly work intense props will need to apply for a grant anyway.

Would love to see a reward system for writing props, or engagement within the DAO, that underlines the value for the DAO a particular member of the community is providing by contributing. Honorary DAO member statues as installations for example. Decoration only, Aliases mentioned. Quarterly distributed. 3 max per quarter.

2 Likes

XP is a non tax event and is valuable to players of all bag sizes. It scales with the quality of the gotchi you put it on, and it has diminishing returns, so it is hard to abuse.

If you think people will do props for fame, you have it backwards. It gets you negative attention, not positive attention.

We already have a system where you can make competing props. That is the status quo. Instead of complaining about one you think is poorly worded, do it your way and see if that gets better results.

As far as snapshot goesā€¦ snapshot and its bugs, are at the core of many issues, and replacing snapshot with something that works better for our unique and constantly evolving needs is a better plan than trying to make a bunch of rules only some will follow. Any idea that assumes people will read more is fantasy. The best results are gotten by keeping the documentation clean and correct and by having solid infrastructure that steers people towards the correct behaviors.

I encourage you to scroll back to the beginning and read the sig props. You will surely come to the conclusion that weā€™ve evolved and are doing a great job relative to where we started. You may also want to consider that we have only had 37 CORE props succeed, since inception, and that means that this is no small feat.

2 Likes

Please explain to me why contributing by submitting a prop gets you negative attention.

1 Like

Because people attack your use of language, the choices you offered, your motives, whether its even a good use of their time to talk about it. Itā€™s not all that pleasant of an experience for someone who is very drivenā€¦ I cant imagine how abhorrent it would be to some of the more introverted or thin skinned people. Not everyone is willing/eager to be scrutinized publicly.

In a decentralized community, more socialization is not always desirable to all, let alone being exposed to the entire group.

3 Likes

I think it would be a shame to get rid of XP rewards altogether. The number could be reviewed if itā€™s seen as excessive. I think taking the initiative to write up a proposal is worth something, especially if thereā€™s reluctance to do it.

So far our community has been pretty good at not spamming sigprops, although Iā€™ve seen it in others (cough pancakeswap). I think there are worse things than lots of people keen to get involved in governance, and we could look at removing rewards at a later time if thereā€™s any major abuse of the process.

I think a DAO project manager could absolutely help by working with the people involved to streamline a process from posts to props, and make a call on rewards too perhaps.
With Snapshot working the way it does though, is it even possible to gate the process? Or would any changes require a move to a different platform?

1 Like