Eliminating XP for posting sigprops

Hey all,

As you may or may not know, the person who posts a sigprop gets 150 xp for one of their gotchis. From early on of me joining this community, I was informed that this was a point of contention. People were complaining that one person posted a certain prop when multiple people should’ve gotten credit (and therefor xp) for it. Since then, we’ve seen at least a couple of sigprops posted that have had issues, and therefor had to be redone and delayed.

My suggestion is that we have the newly appointed DAO manager be in charge of posting all sigprops and we eliminate the XP given out to the poster of sigrprops. This would eliminate the point of contention for who gets to post it and get xp, as well as hopefully all sigprops will be posted correctly, with the correct voting options and correct formatting.

3 Likes

I get the problem but some sigprops take a lot of effort/thinking and should be rewarded. I think a better process would be you have to submit a proposal to the DAO manager and, if accepted, the author gets the XP. This way it’s the responsibility of the DAO manager to ensure it’s worded in a fair, non-leading way and the information/choices are correct.

EDIT: As a side note, I think we need a better structure for proposal where a prominent voice from both sides of a contentious issue have an opportunity to list out their arguments. This is what I’ve tried to do in the past with a pros/cons bullet list.

7 Likes

Sure, I agree that some sigprops require a lot of effort, but it would be rewarded, by paying the DAO manager to do it. On the other hand, some sigprops are basically written by community discussion and it’s a race to see who can post it first, and we get some poorly written/thought out props.

I’d be okay with just having them go through the DAO manager as well I suppose, but then it’s still a cat and mouse game to see who can get it to them first.

If someone needs to put in a lot of work to get it done, like Mikey J and Notorious BTC did, then they would/should be getting paid for their work.

1 Like

I think a DAO manager would solve the “race to post” issue as, if we need a sigprop written quickly, we can either just get the DAO manager to do it or say “Get a prop into the DAO manager within 24 hours” and then at the end of the 24 hours DAO manager can choose which is best. This issue usually occurs off the back of a DAO meeting though so I think going forward the DAO manager can just write up those ones.

1 Like

If the DAO manager is in charge of writing them up in any capacity, then I don’t think they should be getting XP for it.

1 Like

I don’t think the DAO manager should get XP if that’s what you mean? But its a nice incentive for community members to come up with ideas and if it gets past the quality test from the DAO manager then why not? Or is there a better incentive mechanism you can think of?

1 Like

My last post was addressing this part:

This issue usually occurs off the back of a DAO meeting though so I think going forward the DAO manager can just write up those ones.

If we have the DAO manager at the end of a DAO meeting designated to write up a proposal, I don’t think they should get XP for it, since it’s already their “job”. So I think eliminating the XP all together would be the way to go, and if there’s a complicated proposal that the manager can’t do on their own, then someone else is probably getting paid to work on it (like Mikey J and Notorious BTC for the harvester change) and they don’t need to be getting XP on top of that.

1 Like

There’s a gap between simple proposal that takes 15 mins and months/weeks of work like the harvester changes that you’re not taking into account. Sometimes that’ll come from the DAO manager but sometimes that’ll come from a community member.

1 Like

months/weeks of work like the harvester changes that you’re not taking into account

Yes I am, those guys are getting paid for their work, we don’t need to be rewarding them XP.

I actually said it above:

and if there’s a complicated proposal that the manager can’t do on their own, then someone else is probably getting paid to work on it (like Mikey J and Notorious BTC for the harvester change)

Reread last message, I said there’s a gap between a complicated harvester style proposal and a simple one that you’re not taking into account i.e. not enough to get paid and have a proper dtf fund for but bigger than quick low effort proposal.

Oh I understand what you mean now. Either way, I still don’t think we need to be rewarding XP for it. Eitri doesn’t make money off her site, some people just do things without being rewarded for it. If someone had a good idea that will benefit the community, I don’t think they will not propose it just because they don’t get XP for their gotchi.

Maybe posts going through the DAO manager will be enough of a fix, but that would also something that would need to be agreed upon. Because the current system can definitely be better. We’ve had at least a couple of proposals in as many months not be thought out enough before being thrown out just because people don’t want to wait.

I’ve only worked on 2 proposals so far and they’ve both been negative experiences that I believe taking away XP for posting would’ve solved.

The first one there was a group of us working on a proposal, then someone else just randomly posted their own proposal. There were errors with the one that the other person posted and the system wasn’t letting us post our own because they already had theirs up.

Then the other one that I helped with, after it was posted, someone dm’d me complaining that I got to it before they could.

I’m sure others have similar stories too. There have also been a bunch of proposals posted with incorrect formats and incorrect voting options. We need some sort of system that prevents these from happening because it happens far too often.

100% hear everything you’re saying I just think a DAO manager will solve all those issues. Taking away XP incentives as well seems unnecessary.

Well we’ll see how it goes once they start and can go from there.

What if its SOP for the person who most strongly supports the other option to help write it. If there is noone to stand for an option and participate in the process, it doesn’t belong in the vote, as it is just going to be the one that muddies the water because it didn’t get explained clearly enough from that camps perspective.

DAO manager could facilitate here… make a DM with everyone in it, and help them come to a frenly, concise proposal that all feel presents the options fairly.

We did this just fine with the hottest hot button issue ever, and it took three hours and put the thing to bed quickly and as fairly as possible.

Independent of who gets XP or not, everyone should be able to post a sigprop.

2 Likes

I’m okay with that, I think we would get less nonsense being posted if we didn’t give XP for the person who posted it. But the idea is that the proposals where we’re all sitting there like “who’s going to post this?” is going to be posted by the DAO manager.

2 Likes

Sure, just instead of making this a requirement for everyone, it could be a decision that each group of authors gets to make for themselves.

Would the DAO manager still list the people who worked on the proposal?

Sure they could, but I don’t think anyone should be getting XP for it.

IMO the solution should be focused around raising the quality of the proposals being submitted and rewarding those who contributed rather than eliminating the reward altogether

We should always consider actions that may create apathy towards having discussions through the DAO

What are thoughts on distributing XP via identified ranks based on who was the most active in the forum conversation related to the post + XP distributed to the submitter for creating the post?

I agree people contributing to these high level conversations should get a smol incentive and recognition for gaining ‘experience’ in DAO governance with Aavegotchi DAO

1 Like