Hello again frens! Hopefully everyone has managed to have a good read of Gotchiverse Bible Chapter 4 (GB4) by now and has a bit more spare time due to the playdrop winding down
I was particularly interested in the wearable section and think Pixelcraft have done an awesome job of coming up with a system that gives great wearable diversity but is still simple enough for new players to figure out.
However, I would like to propose two ideas for discussion:
- Extending active abilities to all hand wearables by implementation of new abilities Self Buff, AoE Buff and AoE Debuff,
- Changing Thaave Hammer to a Ranged Weapon to match its +BRN synergy
Proposal 1: Extending Active Abilities to All Hand Wearables
In GB4, 28 of the 68 hand wearables were identified as weapons which we can assume have the core function of actively dealing damage. That works out to be 10,465 weapons in total for ~20,000 aavegotchis currently in circulation. Interestingly, there were no wearables identified that could actively perform other essential MMORPG tasks such as healing/buffing or debuffing.
I propose that all hand wearables be given some form of actionable ability. Some of the categorisations given in GB4 such as “Healthy Edible” would even suggest that some wearables could be eaten, consumed or activated (perhaps at a later date in development). Whether or not this is intentional, it would make great UX sense that, as an example, a gotchi could slurp on a milkshake in their hand for a temporary speed boost.
I would like to propose that every hand wearable can initially be given one of the following 5 actionable ability categories:
- Melee Weapon
- Self Buff
- Ranged Weapon
- AoE Buff
- AoE Debuff
Assumptions of this categorization:
- Self Buff strength is dictated by Melee Power,
- AoE Buff/Debuff strength is dictated by Ranged Power
- The AoE spell implementation is as simple as possible. i.e. You cast AoE spell and all units within a fixed radius of your gotchi are affected at the time you cast the spell. No special targeting system.
The below diagram also helps show this breakdown and examples of the 3 new categories.
- Better play style diversification, engagement and team building as players can now build towards healer and support style roles in addition to damage dealers,
- Theoretically, only ~50% of gotchis can hold one of the currently available weapons. Rather than dilute wearables by minting more weapons, we can make use of existing hand wearable to fulfil other important MMORPG roles in the Gotchiverse, (there are currently 24,910 hand wearables in existence)
- Better UX. It’s extremely simple to tell a newcomer “If your wearable is held in the gotchis hand, it has some kind of actionable ability”,
- Melee Powered Self Buff wearables make sense as they compliment a melee play style. E.g. an all Melee player might equip an axe and a hand wearable that temporarily boosts attack speed for explosive melee plays.
- More dev time to incorporate. (As this is an extension though we would have to accept that it is something that gets rolled out incrementally at a later date by Pixelcraft),
- Benefit 1/2 system could become unbalanced as we are now changing 40 wearables to actionable type equipment (however, this could potentially be balanced by retaining the benefits for those wearables and giving the existing melee/ranged weapons benefits 1/2 as well),
Proposal 2: Change Thaave Hammer to Ranged Weapon to Match its +BRN Synergy
The Thaave hammer is currently a melee weapon but adds +1 BRN to a gotchi. Propose to make it a ranged weapon (imagine smashing the ground and sending out a lightning bolt wave!) to bring it in line with its trait synergy.
Note this would then mean we would have to introduce 2 new melee weapons to even out the melee vs. ranged weapon numbers again. I would propose the clutch (@coderdan ) and the skateboard as it would be entertaining to see a gotchi wailing on lickquidators with these two items. Completely open to suggestions on the skateboard but clutch is non-negotiable.
I’ve made the below spreadsheet as a first pass of what categories each hand wearable falls into. Feel free to make comments in the sheet or reply to this thread.