Introduce XP for Wearables

Frens, I’ve been thinking a lot lately about wearables and how they will evolve with the game.

As it stands, each wearable will be equal to each new wave of items that are released. Aside from aesthetics and collectibility, the items themselves have no additional advantage to new ones.

In traditional games, the new items that are released are MORE powerful to scale with new endgame content. Older gear becomes cheaper.

In crypto, we want the opposite. We want our assets to appreciate in value over time. This is one of the big challenges with crypto gaming. In many ways, it requires us to completely rethink how to approach legacy systems.

I’ve been thinking on how best to approach this and what I’ve come up with is a levelling mechanism for our wearables. This is what I am proposing for discussion:

Each wearable can level up ten times from zero to ten.

XP can ONLY be attained through P2E methods (killing licks, PvP, etc)

With each level, the BRS of the item increases by 5%, up to a total of 50%.

Commons would gain a maximum of 0.5 BRS. A gotchi in full common could gain an additional 3 BRS.
Godlikes would gain a maximum of 3 BRS. A gotchi in full godlike could gain an additional 18 BRS.

The BRS needs to be significant enough to strive for while also not interfering with the natural order of things.

For context, a fully levelled up mythical wearer would receive an additional 15 BRS across their set, which is still 10 BRS less than the bonus difference from just one godlike. (50 BRS for GL and 25 for myth)

The BRS bonus would randomly boost pre-existing stats.

The levelling mechanism would require significant time to max out. I feel something like lvl 1 - 45 in WoW to get max level on wearables would be good.

A few notes I have:

A huge benefit of this idea is rarity farming now has with it a P2E element. It’s still heavily pay to win as it should be, but now there is some wiggle room in the ranks for those who dedicate the time into levelling up their gear. There’d also be far fewer ties in the rankings.

Rented gotchis could level up your gear.

A new market is opened for people buying low level items, grinding them, and reselling them for a premium

All items start at level 0 but older items have the advantage as they have had the chance to level up over time.

Again, the intention here is to find value appreciation for older items that would require some effort to achieve.

7 Likes

I think it’s an interesting idea but a massive fundamental change and would be curious to hear some of the potential drawbacks or potential issues with it too though. Can you describe more on how you envision the wearables would level? Simply from time being worn in game? I’m not super familiar with WoW “lvl 1-45” reference and how long that would take. For example, if there are 20 levels to get to maximum wearable strength, how long do you think it would take to achieve level 1(5%)? Would the age mechanism work similar to the current Gotchi aging mechanism?

I think two approaches have very different consequences too.

1. Wearables regardless of usage receive age accruing benefits(similar to Gotchis now)
    Pro: Achieves goal of providing greater value to older wearables
    Con: Doesn’t encourage increased interaction or gameplay
  2. Wearables being used in game receive benefits from usage over time?
    Pro: Encourages gameplay to boost wearables
    Con: Doesn’t necessarily reward older wearables, only those being utilized

I feel like with the Gotchi aging mechanism it works because it might incent someone to open a portal in lieu of holding it, however wearables don’t have this issue, so the mechanism that incentivizes the most gameplay and interaction feels like the better play to me and first brush, but i would really like to hear others take on this. Unless the wearables become completely diluted or there is another 1000 grass hats minted that look similar to straw hats, there should still be some value retained due to rarity of design. Additionally, other mechanisms that destroy wearables in exchange for some other game incentive could be introduced to increase wearable rarity or at least create a floor.

I think i got a bit confused on the initial read. Your title says XP and you mentioned XP for gameplay, but then went on to talk about BRS boost. I think when i responded above I had BRS boost in mind instead of XP so I apologize if my response is off the mark.

In general though, I think some kind of XP boost for in game interaction is a positive though so I appreciate you kicking off the discussion.

2 Likes

Thanks fren :slight_smile:

The major thinking point here I would like to bring to attention is how to allow for some power creep to exist in a way that rewards older items vs newer ones.

Without anything introduced, we are currently looking at the best items in the game that will ever exist. From a RF perspective, that will get stale quite quickly. Imagine the same BRS boosting items being dropped over and over again for the next two years.

I can see how it might be a bit confusing with the words XP. The idea is for in-game play to grant wearables xp exactly like a character would get xp in any other video game. These means could be through PVE or PVP or anything else we could think of.

The intention I am setting is very much to reward the BRS bonus exclusively through play and earn means. My hope is to have a more dynamic RF board as well as introduce some play elements in the RF leaderboards.

I am against an ageing type mechanism for wearables as that’s too passive and doesn’t allow for new items to ever catch old ones. An active player with brand new items could quickly outpace an inactive player sitting on old items.

re: the WoW lvl 1 - 45, I was trying to create a sort of perspective on how long I feel it should take to max your gear from 1 - 10. Obv the first few levels would be much easier than the final ones.

4 Likes

I kinda like the leveling-up wearable idea.
It can help grant boosts to one of the traits inside the wearables.
And also we need to how to set the leveling curve of the wearables and also max levels.
What about maxed-out wearables then ?
They just become the rarest wearable?
Shall we grant color-alternated versions of the wearables?

3 Likes

Thx fren :smiley:
While I think some form of max level wearable would look dope to have a colour/design variant, I reckon that’d put a huge burden on the art team!