There’s been some discussion within the wearables task force around single-stat items (referred to as “stat sticks” from here on out).
What is a stat stick?
A stat stick is a wearables that affects a single trait. Thus, it’s easy to just “stick” it on any gotchi with the right value for that trait. This is in contrast to items that affect 2 or 3 traits, which are harder to optimally equip.
Why have we been discussing?
The WTF has tried to find a balance between preserving value of players’ existing assets and not locking out new players. Stat sticks present an interesting dynamic as they’re generally more powerful than other items. When we introduce additional stat sticks, we believe the value of other items takes a hit.
What are our options?
For lower rarity tiers, stat sticks are a necessity (all common items are stat sticks for example). For higher rarity tiers, there is plenty of untapped design space in trait combinations. We think there’s value in restricting, throttling, or halting the release of stat sticks for the time being. This should, in theory, benefit all as earlier adopters/players will be rewarded by having already-released stat sticks, and players on budgets won’t see their multi-trait wearables decline in value as players move into new stat sticks. The thinking is that this doesn’t need to be permanent. If, down the road, the community decides they want new stat sticks, a proposal can be raised to revert this one!
- Option A: Do nothing – stat sticks are fun after all
- Option B: No more stat sticks for legendary+ wearables for now
- Option C: Only 1 legendary+ stat stick allowed per wearable raffle/auction
- Option D: No further duplicate stat sticks allowed within a rarity tier (i.e. if a legendary item with +4 SPK already exists, no more legendary items with +4 SPK will be released for ANY item slot) – This would be pretty close to Option B given what already exists.
- Option E: Open to suggestions!
Reasons you might support:
- Preserves value of existing stat sticks by not introducing duplicate items
- Preserves value of multi-trait items that are currently strictly worse than stat sticks
- Guides design team to explore new trait combinations on rarer wearables
- This proposal can be reverted at any time with a new proposal
Reasons you might not support:
- Sets introduce enough variety to keep duplicate stat stick and multi-trait items interesting
- If ARS is implemented in rarity farming, multi-tier items are no longer strictly worse than stat sticks
- Limits design space for wearable sets – it becomes harder to create unique sets (looking specifically at something like the upcoming fairy set).
- The value proposition I touch on above isn’t damaging currently
Looking forward to hearing folks’ thoughts!
- Option A: Do nothing
- Option B: No more stat sticks
- Option C: One stat stick per raffle/auction
- Option D: No duplicate stat sticks within a rarity tier
- Option E: Something else!