Changing Petting to resetting at midnight UTC rather than a 24 hour cooldown

Hey all,

I know this has been discussed before, but I think we should revisit it. Gas prices have been high for what feels like months now, and who knows when it will end (wen gotchi chain).

The Gotchi Vault has 2,500+ gotchis in it, Orium network is petting about 6,000 gotchis per day. These tools are losing money because of petting. Petting isn’t a “fun” mechanic. If we remove the need to be petting exactly every 12 hours, then we will eliminate the need for these bots.

I propose we change petting to reset at midnight UTC, similar to how channeling works, and only require 1 pet per day which (this part is open for discussion) either provides 1 kinship per day or 2.

This would allow for channeling to be the only interaction necessary with your gotchi (currently) while also allowing the people who don’t want to enter the GotchiVerse to continue with how they’ve been doing this up to this point.

It would eliminate up to 2 transactions per day per gotchi (if you pet each one individually and just channel).

I’ve heard the argument that some people like having the advantage over others if they’re able to be quick with their petting, and yes, this is true, but some people will either still not pet their gotchis or forget to interact with them that day. I think the pros far outweigh the cons.

Sounds like the same proposal you suggested in this thread:

More importantly, it would also eliminate any chance of catching up in the KIN leaderboard.

I doubt that. With or without pressure to pet as fast as possible, automating that tx is still more convenient than doing it manually.

Sounds like the same proposal you suggested in this thread:

That wasn’t my thread. It was about something similar, but not exactly the same. I brought it up there, but never actually made a thread about this.

More importantly, it would also eliminate any chance of catching up in the KIN leaderboard.

Could still catch up if someone else forgets to interact with their gotchi in a day.

I doubt that. With or without pressure to pet as fast as possible, automating that tx is still more convenient than doing it manually.

Some people might choose to still automate it, but it wouldn’t feel as necessary to do.

I think the pros of making this change far outweigh the cons.

The only pro I see is spending a tiny bit less on gas. People don’t pet their Gotchis individually. They do channel individually though. So any supposed savings in gas are negligible at best. At least to users. Maybe not to free petting services that pet thousands of Gotchis, but those services could always just charge for petting.

The cons are setting up an attack on KIN rewards by effectively freezing the leaderboard.

Maybe newcomers, but no one who automated petting already would go back to manual. And that renders your catch up argument void.

No, because bots don’t forget to pet. But they do take a bit of time. This is definitely going to freeze the KIN leaderboard. And the next step would be to use this frozen leaderboard as an argument to get rid of KIN rewards altogether.

Saving a couple cents in gas each day does not warrant changing a 2 year old protocol mechanic that works fine.

Saving a couple cents in gas each day does not warrant changing a 2 year old protocol mechanic that works fine.

At least 1/3 of gotchis are being pet by bots. Doubt that this was the intended result, therefor disagree that the system is working “fine”.

And implementing your proposal would not change that in any meaningful way.

Sooner or later bots aren’t going to be offered anymore, at least not free ones (we’ve seen Ceza’s bot move from 100 ghst staked to a paid bot and fireball’s bot stop altogether). At that point, a lot of people are going to stop using them. I’m trying to get ahead of the inevitable with a solution that doesn’t involve needing to be tied to your device every 12 hours.