EDIT: I have re-written this idea to make the value proposition hopefully more obvious for the DAO and broadened the scope.
PROPOSAL: In the next haunt portal mint, whenever that may be, set aside a very small portion of Portals to be handed over to the DAO treasury. Very small would mean a number the DAO agrees has no great material impact or threat of making the DAO some sort of majority player in the supply of Portals. That would remain the concern of actual Portal purchasers and the Portal supply/demand market.
The treasury can then utilize these portals in marketing campaigns or as player rewards for in-game events or activities, or anything else.
- Avoids the problem of minting new gotchis piecemeal for individual campaigns.
- Hopefully optically more tenable for current gotchi owners that will not view the mint as inflationary to gotchis overall, but as a sensible approach to giving the DAO flexibility in future initiatives.
- Avoids the DAO having to directly participate in the portal supply & demand market.
- The DAO could manage its own stable of renters and play initiatives that are not beholden to the criteria that are set out by the current crop of gotchi guilds if we actively allow them to be utilized while in DAO custody.
- May not be popular with a wider player base who could view it as minting free gotchis for DAO members with high political clout.
- The DAO could just purchase portals with treasury funds which benefits all Gotchi/Portal and GHST holders, instead of minting itself free portals. Some players may prefer the DAO to have to participate in the market like everybody else does instead of having the privilege of minting its own supply.
- DAO owned gotchis could be seen as competing with Gotchi guilds.
- Spending funds to purchase own portals could be somewhat costly for the DAO on a long term basis.
Run competitions for top players in some play category with prizes including gotchis. Provides a path to ownership for players that may not have the capital to get their own gotchi. Owning a gotchi will be a top aspiration for future lickuidators of which we will have thousands.
NOTE: I am NOT calling for a new portal mint any time soon. This post is more to trigger some ideation around what use-cases and initiatives might be possible if the DAO itself owned gotchis and any problems with the idea in general.