Petting Gotchis: 1-hour grace period

https://snapshot.org/#/aavegotchi.eth/proposal/QmS4pXmpTWaM6YcSmeHifAAnNYPMCjxWqp9FKAipcAdEPp

Having the timer activate exactly at 12 hours without any extra hour being granted/rolled back means you will have 5-10 extra minutes adding up each time to the point it ruins your schedule and you have to pet your gotchi at 3AM to 5AM. Adding this feature isn’t just a quality of life improvement it’s necessary so people avoid using bots and stop ruining their sleep schedules.
Add a 1-59minute grace period where the timer resets right before the gotchi was petted.

However we can change the “fixed hour antibiotics” mechanic and set it on easy mode.
Set 2 time periods where you can pet your gotchi anytime; say every 12:00 UTC for example.
Pet between 12:00-23:59 UTC and pet between 00:00-11:59 UTC, within these 2 timeframes. This method will enable people to relax by giving more flexibility and still keep the 12 hours cycle.

Here’s a Pet All button, you need Git Bash or some other compiler to run it
GitHub - candoizo/aavegotchi-webpack-demo

There’s also a secret Pet All button in the top-right of your gotchi.
This should drastically reduce the time required to pet over 10 gotchis.

13 Likes

Yes! This is a seriously negative aspect of playing that frustrates me frequently.

Another method would be to have the 12 hr timer reset whenever you pet, and give 1 kinship for each 12 hours per day it has stayed petted. This would require slightly more effort to code, but I like it because it simulates real pet ownership better–if I take care of my dog’s needs by feeding and petting just before I leave for a trip, I can be gone for more hours. Pets don’t demand petting at only certain times, but rather continued investment and attention.

3 Likes

I was thinking of the exact same thing the other day.
though i thought straight after wait a minute with a 1 hour grace period you will go backwards 2 full hours every single day thus still ruining your sleep at some point…

Though I’m guessing what you mean is you pet them 10-59 mins in advance and it wouldn’t count until the 12h timer is up? If so I’m all for it

Yeah I mean resetting the timer right before it was petted. That way the accumulated time doesn’t creep neither backwards nor forwards.

This makes sense to me. All though I haven’t thought about the code implementations.

What I like about it is the fact kinship is a measure of engagement. And petting isn’t the only thing that triggers the ‘interact’ on the contract. I.e you can equip an item and in the contract that already counts as an interaction.

So if you actively engaging with your Gotchi throughout the day then the 12 hour countdown should ideally begin on your last interaction

2 Likes

That would be sooooo great. It’s a bit frustraiting petting on exact hour and changing timer settings every few days.

1 Like

thats true i agree , i support that idea

That’s even better than my idea of a 11:59:00 petting schedule!

With a grace period perhaps it wouldn’t be so bad if the txn’s don’t go through, or you accidentally skip one in the order, also the floating times make the petting sessions drift out further and further as they are. My current scheduled drifted out to a jumbled mess of about 15 minutes per session after a week of being “on it.”

Yes, this definitely needs to be tweaked. It needs something that isn’t really too much hassle for the devs, but will provide the players with more value. Especially the ones who don’t use bots to do stuff for them :smiley:
I keep drifting forward in time until it gets to a point that I go to sleep and have to pet my gotchi the next morning. And if I miss that, I’m back in night time territory again … :smiley:

We can also remove the “fixed hour antibiotics” mechanic and set it on easy mode.
Set 2 time periods where you can pet your gotchi anytime; say every 12:00 UTC for example.
Pet between 12:00-23:59 UTC and pet between 00:00-11:59 UTC, within these 2 timeframes. This method will enable people to relax by giving more flexibility and still keep the 12 hours cycle.
What do you think of easymode? yay, nay? someone in the Discord came up with it.

Just a thought if not suggestion: consider petting be no less than 10hrs. apart and allow a daily kinship max. of 2 as an adjustment for busy lifestyles (and sleep schedules).

I can get behind this. The past week I’ve been having the same thoughts on the matter.

I like the system as it is. I think the inconvenience is what gives the game emotional tension and lower ranked kinship gotchi’s an opportunity to gain in ranking. If you take away the variable nature of the kinship then how will the rankings ever change.
Games should have feeling. I feel excited when my gotchi climbs in rank because someone slept through their petting by 6 hours and I am up; I feel disappointed when I forget to pet my gotchi and I am down. I like this part of the game a lot.

I don’t disagree with you at all! It’s hard work keeping a schedule and I find myself wanting “easy mode” only when I’m not maintaining my schedule correctly. I feel like a “pet all” button at 11:59 intervals would be just right.

How do you feel about lowering it to 10 minutes of error margin rather than 59? I’ve constantly messed up my timing and weirdly enough I’m still in the top 150 on a few of my gotchis.

The thing is we already have a few bots with pet all options that are doing this running off raspberry pi’s. They only lose at most 10 seconds waiting for the transaction to confirm to pet all gotchis at once.
We need a way to stop botting if you want to make it human competitive.

Kinship and XP are the tighest competition and 1 small potion could send you in the top 100 and it’s interesting to wager in the rewards vs the cost of the potions for each gotchi. It’s at least winnable compared to BRS farming where you need mythicals and godlikes to reach the top 100.

There is currently a “pet all” script which I could share with everyone, it was made for people with at least over 15 gotchis.
Most people even now are petting their gotchis 1 by 1.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing. Yes, 10 minutes is a reasonable window to allow for mishaps. Scripts on raspberry pi’s, where there is a will there is a way! The top 700 gotchi’s have are over level 4 XP, there is no potion to catch up with that disparity. The only competition that appears neutrally fair to new players is the kinship. Before the game was launched most of the wearables were raffled & 500 XP was gifted to your gotchi(s) for answering a question before launch.

1 Like

This is also useful to reduce personal stress when petting your gotchis (something that should be wholesome and relaxing).

Im sure we’ve all experienced it where we are ready exactly on petting time, however when we pet there are network issues (or hardware wallet issues) that end up causing your petting time schedule to be delayed (a cause of a lot of mild frustration).

2 Likes