When will the "community" get the voting power instead of the whales?

I know this has been brought up before but this isn’t something you can vote on because of course the whales will vote against it and they have the voting power. These aren’t “community” votes. These are whale votes.
This is for the devs to decide if they democratic voting or do they want to kill the game because the whales have control?

Whose going to win the big rarity farming awards? The whales of course.
They control the votes.
They buy all the top wearables to jack up their rarity score.
They vote to raise taxes to increase the awards they’re gong to win in rarity farming.
They vote for whatever benefits them

If you truly want to know what the “community” wants then give voting an equal playing field.

1 account = 1 vote or however you make it so everybody has an equal voice

To the devs thank you for all your hard work!

2 Likes

How do you determine what “1 account” is? This is an on-chain game where wallets are all anonymous.

1 Like

You missed the “or however you make it so everybody has an equal voice”

Right, do you have a proposal for this?

No, I’m not a developer. They know far more than myself how to accomplish this task. I’m bringing this up as an issue. The more knowledgeable people can create the solution. Having democratic voting is good for the development of the game. Not much future for the game if the whales control everything and get everything. Please try to see the point I’m trying to make instead of coming after me.

1 Like

Not coming after you and I appreciate the sentiment! It’s just that there are a lot of proposals being put forward attempting to mitigate this exact same issue. Just wanted to see if you had a specific idea or not.

My apologies. I wish I had the knowledge of a dev and could create a solution. I’ve seen 1 Gotchi 1 vote proposed. Still not exactly one vote per person but it sure would be a hell of a lot closer than using GHST as voting power. I’m guessing 1 Gothchi 1 vote might be the easiest to create and most fair method of voting. I do appreciate the dev’s effort and time. I just think this is a very important topic that can’t be voted on under the current system.

1 Like

The best way to achieve this would be 1 Gotchi = 1 Vote IMO. I don’t know if this is possible, and even if it is the problem is it would have to get voted on by the community which would obviously be blocked by the whales you’re talking about.

1 Like

This is a huge problem for the “little investor/gotchi owner” and I think at some point the devs need to just say, “Hey y’all, it’s great that you whales have lots of dough, you can buy lots of gotchis and expensive wearables others can’t, but one area where we all want to be equal is in voting power. If you’re active in the community, own a gotchi and are respectful of the project, you should have a vote as powerful as a millionaire’s vote even if you only have 50 GHST to stake.”

Now I know they can’t just do that because it’s a DAO after all, but we really need to find some way to address this, even if it’s a special vote where staked GHST isn’t recorded on Snapshot, simply the gotchi ID or portal ID you own at the time you vote.

1 Like

The devs have talked about things like voting with Gotchi, amount of kinship impacting voting weight and there have been ideas such as quadratic voting. This stuff isn’t easy though and takes time.

PS: We wouldn’t be where we are today without the whales. Demonizing them for having more money is just sad in my opinion.

6 Likes

It would be beautiful if voting was done by actually walking the gotchi down to the mailbox to drop off their vote. If your wallet has a lot of gotchis, you can have one take all their votes and deliver them.

Quadratic voting does not take time. It’s an option on snapshot. You just go to settings and select it.

I already made a topic for switching to Instant Run Off, but any of the more advanced options would be be an improvement.

First, are whales some horrible stereotype that can be fairly demonized? Or are they regular people like you and me?

Should people who contribute the most $$$ to community rewards and the development of the game when it’s no more than an idea get more than people who join after the game is successful?

Is it possible that the evil “they” is actually a group of real people with empathy, normal problems, families suffering hardship, etc?

Is it possible that the people most invested in this project actually have the most to lose and genuinely want everyone to win?

Is it true that “whales” actually control this project and do whatever extracts most from the community?

It would be worth your while to seriously consider these questions.

6 Likes

No, Yes, Yes, YES, YES, no, but there are some things that are systemically causing distortion that lean towards the top but are also limiting the voice of some whales while helping others. Yes, serious open minded discussions are needed, full support for rational solutions and bridging the gaps between perceptions while creating systems that limit potential exploits and require little to no work from the dev team and create community instead of bad blood.

This topic is not a well worded question.

Whales are fucking awesome, BTW. It’s the centralization and amplification of power that can be a problem, not the fact that some people have more resources. It’s obvious that there is something needing a tweak, but the answer is probably elegant and adds value while allaying tensions.

Some sort of revamp of how we tally and accept and sort votes is in order, but it should be a nerd out not a call out. We’re all in it to win it. Just by being here now, you’re a winner. How hard we all win is more important than trying to get more of the pie(obviously that’s job two) A bigger pie is always goal one.

5 Likes

Whales aren’t the only voice of this project friend. Should someone who arrived yesterday with 5 ghst have equal voting rights as someone who has been here since the beginning, invested thousands, and knows the ecosystem in and out?

It’s also worth mentioning there are other ways to influence the game design than by just raw voting power. You can join the task forces. The wearables task force for example brought together a group of people of varying wealth and designed the stats for the most recent wearable launch. No voting power necessary.

Members of the community raised concerns over the UX and guess what? The devs listened. No voting power needed.

To be honest most big changes to the game have started as a group discussion that takes days even weeks. By the time it’s voted on, the vast majority vote in one direction. It is rare to see a truly split community. This is because the sig and core prop votes have already listened to everyone equally in the community.

From my experience I’ve seen the key to being heard is to offer viable solutions and to contribute value to the community.

9 Likes

1 account = 1 vote is horrible, IMO.

Whales (I am not one, btw) , on average, care far more about the long term than the average punter…and have time to invest in the project also. They generally do not care about short term gains over the long term. These people are already rich so they don’t see the $ value in the same way that ‘regular folk’ do.

For those who done have much in terms of resources, your voice can actually still hold a lot of sway if you are active in the community and being a vocal advocate for what you believe in.

8 Likes

Howdy Frens

I feel that the voting mechanics are fair… It represents ‘share weighting’ as in the traditional share investment world… And to me it makes sense that the more investment you make to more weight your opinion should carry when voting on the future of your investment… I am not a whale, sigh… However I have made a reasonable investment into this super fantastic world of Gotchi and am enjoying the voting mechanics immensely… All Frens Win…

3 Likes

I fit your description. :smiley:

And Im doing the things.

Im finding it very rewarding and a positive in my life.

Would recommend.

1 Like

Whales will always receive better treatment as long as we live in a world that worships their money. The justification being brought in here to try and paint people who throw their weight around in the form of wealth is just so typical of the world we live in.

At the end of the day, I disagree with all the idiotic justification that whales are actually a benefit to projects. In it’s basic form, a whale is someone who has more money than sense, and they use that money to exert uneven influence on whatever they feel like influencing. The presence of money does not inherently make these people any smarter than someone with only 50ghst, the arguments being brought forward that seem to not only think that people with wealth are smarter than people without, but that extra smartness will result in the non-whales winning when the whales win. Wealthy people care about one thing, and that one thing is their bank account. People want to pretend that whales will do things that benefit the overall protocol because surely they would make lots of money if the protocol succeeds? Do people forget how much money people can make by betting against success?

Whales are cancer and they should not be catered to. If they truly believe in the protocol they don’t need extra rewards to help make it a success.

This DAO is turning into what everything else in capitalism turns into, a game for wealthy people that completely disregards the voices of the people that will actually play this game. Watching people suck whales off in the hope of some scraps is pathetic and will result in yet another protocol ruined by whales.

Wake the fuck up.

To be honest you sound very young and idealistic. You have some idea about “fairness” that has never existed anywhere in history except for limited times in a few families and small communes, and this blinds you to the actual fairness allowed by crypto technology. And you have some pretty strong ideas about people you’ve never met, how intelligent they are, what their motives are…

If you have such an enlightened plan to create fairness, you should create your own project that embodies that! Crypto certainly makes it easier than ever before. And I would love to join a project even fairer than Aavegotchi. So, genuinely, let me know if you want to take action on your ideals (or maybe they are just valiant ideas?).

If you don’t want to do that, you could contribute here rather than writing sweeping philosophical complaints like this. For example, a bunch of us have been working on the trait mappings, which are significantly different than PC originally proposed. Are all of us just evil whales trying to crash the project? I don’t think so, and I don’t even know who is a whale…that stuff doesn’t come up because we’re all just focused on making the traits make sense.

Yeah, wake the fuck up! Exactly. Bottom line: If you think that little guys like yourself are underrepresented here, then join in and find out just how much we and PC are willing to include your voice! You might be surprised, fren.

6 Likes

If you are upset that voting power scales with investment size, that is a legitimate and nuanced topic, and making blanket statements that defame half the people who are going to read your post, and insult those who disagree, is counter productive.

You went from having less votes, to having less credibility/clout, by playing the “money bad, wake up sheeple” card.

2 Likes