Decentralization shouldn't aid Racism

I think it’s fine if people want to give their Aavegotchis distasteful or offensive names. The smart contracts are open-source and do not contain any sort of banlist or filters.

However, that does not mean that Aavegotchi.com needs to display them. If the community supports it, we will start putting together a banlist of words (in english, to start with) that the Aavegotchi.com frontend filters out, and simply displays as ******.

What do you guys think of that idea?

1 Like

Its worth trying out but I think it will most likely end up in an endless cat and mouse when ppl switch i with 1s, add an extra character to avoid filters etc.

I hate racism! However in a world losing it’s freedoms, let not the decentralized world become controlled. We do not have to condone or interact with people who have different beliefs, however god forbid we try to control what people think… You may be the next in line in time.

1 Like

So if we ban what offends people, soon everything will be banned. Everything if offensive to someone. Santa, Satin, God, Allah, Halloween, Iran, America, Russia, Dr. Susie. I can go on with monuments, team names, history. Stop this bullshit here.

People are offended by those who support trump. Banning all them too?

Lol this is pretty good satire. Doctor Susie is a c*nt tbf.

That is true ennit, some people may try to prove a point and it will get out of hand. If people in the community see something though, flagging it up shouldn’t bee too hard.

If it becomes too much of a problem, i guess people who don’t like seeing discriminatory language will start to leave the community and the dao will slowly shift to a point where it votes in all the racist names and the whole project will die a grizzly racist death.

Over all i think we’d find allowing racism to flourish a bigger problem. Unless enough racists migrated to the system and that’s what it became about. I guess the the ghosts aren’t too far from Klan Robes… (shouldn’t put that thought out into the universe, lol)

I have no feelings one way or another… But you just made my point. Thanks.

In the end I guess I don’t give 2 cents how this thing plays out… Someone is going to be unhappy no matter what. Good luck.

Lol just in case you didn’t get the joke. I love Doctor Suess, though i understand he did have quite a racist early life. I was just poking fun at you saying “Dr. Susie”. It wasn’t very helpful to the discussion, so i apologise.

No problem… I find the joke humorous now. My spelling sucks… and I’m a bit slow sometimes. LOL

1 Like

Sound. tbf after some thought i do feel you, and think it could get carried away. like i think racist slurs, homophobia etc should be banned. But what if people didn’t think a gotchi shouldn’t be called “Hitler”? In my opinion, that is fine. After mentioning the Klan, i kinda thought “oh naming a gotchi after klan titles would be a bit of a touch” but people could for sure not like that.

I guess the dao would most likely vote “hitler” to be allowed to stay right? Like we could leave it to the discretion of the community and if people get too uppity i think the general mindset will keep it rational… and if not, it really is an easy way to see what kind of community we have

Who cares !? this game is already racist against small bag

helpful. fucking elitist aavegotchi

I just really want you to lower your expectations of how the community reacts in terms of voting to ban [whatever]. A proposal to ban x number of offensive strings could be rejected or not even reach quorum, and that wont mean that the community are a bunch of racist/apathetic/failing to be better bigots.

Oh yeah for sure. I also think it will be a good measure both ways, anyway.

Though, If the gotchi realm gets filled with slur names because people want to prove a point and then most of them are allowed, i think it would be a fair measure of what the community is like. Obviously if some slurs fall through the gaps because people aren’t aware, that’s a shame, but few people are aware of the severity of every offensive word.

But people keep crying “if we want it to go mainstream…” when they’re motivated by money, but only a handful of people are participating here. I feel confident in saying discrimination will be damaging to Aavegotchi as a whole and we’d be smart to nip it in the bud.

this is just another example of ignorance and there should definitely be some name filtering at least for the preservation of public image.
bad pr is probably not a thing on the internet though tbh.
really only hurting themselves by limited buyer interest

I mean more of people either voting against the proposal to ban, or not engaging with a vote for the ban and so no quorum. And for reasons that they find the entire idea of banning things in a free, private and anonymous space antithetical to that space.

I think its unquestionably reasonable for you to propose banning whatever list of strings to the community for reasons of severity and offense. I just don’t think that if that proposal was ignored or defeated you should walk away from the community thinking they failed, that they allowed racism to flourish.

A proposal to ban whatever motivated by money and mainstream and image is maybe a different thing to people.

Yeah it would never be a right off just because the initial vote failed. I imagine if it failed and then racism did seem to flourish there would be opportunities to revive the debate.