Introduce an Aavegotchi Dungeon Crawler

Hey frens,

Over the last several months I have been quietly building what I believe to be an exciting, executable, and scalable dungeon crawler concept.

Aavegotchi Roguelike Crawler

The gotchi mines have become overrun by a mysterious corruption! Your job is to descend to the bottom and solve the mystery.

The dungeon: a bottomless dungeon with increasingly valuable rewards. Players have a limited time with each play through before they are overtaken by the corruption. Players must make it to a multiple of 10 floor and teleport out with their treasure, otherwise it is all lost.

Players must decide between racing to the bottom and farming treasure. The deeper they go, the better the treasure. However, the dungeon becomes increasingly perilous and because of the all-or-none reward system, the choice to descend further or cash out is very difficult to make!

Why Roguelike?

Roguelikes fit perfectly with GameFi. They are insanely difficult to beat, are randomised with each playthrough, and allow for customisation of character.

Basic Economics:

The game generates revenue through two methods: entry fee and in-dungeon currency.

There are two gameplay modes: casual and hardcore.

Player Rewards

The objective of the game is to be rewarding yet challenging. A well-designed game would be a net profit, even with player rewards. This can be achieved through an increasingly difficult dungeon, an RNG spawner which can severely handicap a playthrough, and various other ways.

Casual gameplay rewards: GLTR + alchemica
Hardcore gameplay rewards: GLTR + alchemica + alloy + essence + core fragments + schematic shards

Gameplay:

There are a total of 100 floors to descend and complete before the game is considered beaten. Beyond the 100th floor lies the infinite void where elite players can continue into infinity, time and health permitting.

Each floor is randomly generated and different on every playthrough. To advance to the next floor, a player must find the stairs or floor portal which is located underneath the rock piles and treasure chests. Players may also use an escape stair item which can be purchased from the in-game merchant. Stairs descend one floor while portals range from one to seven floors.

The mechanics are similar to Stardew Valley’s bottomless Skull Cavern, but with more enemies and faster fighting.

Once a floor is completed, it cannot be revisited.

Breaking ore and chests:

The fastest way to destroy ore and chests is with bombs. These can be purchased as well as found in chests. Bombs can clear a path quickly and are essential for a player to reach the bottom floors.

Alternatively, a player can melee/ranged attack the ore and individually break them open.

Merchant Floors

On every tenth floor is a rest floor where players can purchase ethereal wearables which vanish upon death/exit. Here players also may choose to portal out of the mines and capture their treasure on-chain.

Gameplay Mechanics

Players begin the dungeon with their equipped wearables. The overall fighting mechanics are very similar to the Gotchiverse and the BRS mods influence characters as expected. There are two basic move sets: melee and ranged. We also introduce a dodge.

There are three components to gameplay: the gotchi with his gear who enters the game, meta skill progression which influences the overall game, and the RNG Aspects which dictate how someone plays through that individual run. The gotchi and wearables is considered to be the slowest meta progression. The skill points are a medium-length progression. The Aspects are randomised each run.

Artwork and Biomes

True to aavegotchi’s origins, the game is designed in beautiful 2d pixel art.

Each 20 floors, the player descends into a new biome.

Some biome concepts with inspiration:

Underground River and Mushroom Biome 1- 20:

The first theme beneath the surface.

Organic, flowing waters, mushrooms, psychedelic, vibrant and glowing.

Blue/green/brown palette with pops of pink contrast.

Geode Mines Biome 21 – 40:

Beneath the underground river lies the geode mines

Rocky, icy, shimmering and crystalline

Base palette of cool greys, icy colours, with prismatic crystals on top (from the geode graphics)

Abandoned Refinery 41 – 60:

Furnace, fire, molten FOMO. a refinery deep underground long abandoned. Mechanical enemies. Robotic. Lots of machinery and traps.

KEK Pits 61- 80:

Beneath the refinery are the KEK Pits. The dungeons open into a vast and expansive space. Ethereal, spacey, and incredibly dangerous.

Palette: purple, grey, pink, shimmering lights

Corrupted Essence 81 - 100:

Infinite Void 100+:

This is just a teaser

I’ve written an entire lite paper which fleshes this design out more comprehensively. Things like meta progression, gameplay mechanics, enemies and so on are already being ideated and shaped. The concept I envision is like an amped up Stardew Valley Skull Cavern meets Hades.

To me, this game concept is what I always imagined and had hoped to play with my aavegotchis. As the DAO continues to take on more autonomy, we have the opportunity to build whatever our hearts desire!

With the successful implementation of the Forge mechanics, we now have an entire array of assets to reward players with. To carry things further, Core Fragments can be introduced, allowing for players to collect X amount of fragments which can eventually be converted into a Core itself.

A Massive Undertaking

This exciting idea expands far beyond what the DAO has so far achieved. It would require a significant budget and time to execute. I see things like this:

Community: shape the concept further as a community. Bring ideas together and refine things the way we like.

DAO Team: a small crew of community members which include myself as lead product designer and asset creator, a project manager, an economist, and smart contract developer.

and most importantly, a reputable indie game studio who executes our vision.

I’ve already began doing some research and indie game studios are indeed available for hire. The budget to develop a game, excluding the DAO team, ranges from $200k into infinity. Timeline estimates I’ve received also range but the average is between three and nine months. Add the complexity of crypto and smart contracts and realistically nine months would be incredibly ambitious in my opinion.

Essentially, we need to have a solid proposal in hand before getting a true cost of execution and understanding of timelines. Naturally the more complex and detail-rich the game, the more expensive and longer it takes to execute.

Realistically, this endeavour I would expect to cost in the ball park of one million USD. Mind you, this number is a very rough estimate at this stage.

Does this excite you?!

I have many more details already mapped out and a clear vision on how this game can take shape. That being said, there is still so much more to design and create and iterate on as a community.

I want to share this vision and build together with you all something truly wonderful which captures the attention of the broader crypto community.

But before I go too much further and reveal any more, I wanted to see if this direction is where the community wants to go?

• Hell yes!
  • I like where this is going but need more
  • Eh, maybe. But this needs massive revision
  • Absolutely not!

0 voters

11 Likes

This sounds really good. Will this be designed for the supernet or polygon?

1 Like

Thanks fren! I can see the game meshing very well with the current gameplay meta, too.

The answer to your question would largely fall on whether or not PC delivers on their ambitious roadmap.

The game concept is largely web2 and would actually have minimal smart contract interaction, so it would be quite flexible as to what chain it’s deployed on.

Really great idea to get an independent game studio to build a game for us. This sounds like a type of game I would really like to play as well.

4 Likes

Absolutely mate! I know there are quite a few avid roguelike / crawler fans in the community as well!

2 Likes

Have you thought about if there will be any free entries? Or will the only way to play this would be to pay? I don’t love the idea of needing to pay hundreds-thousands of dollars to buy a gotchi, then also need to spend money to play with it.

3 Likes

What if it was “taxed” on exit on free entries? Where you could “see” what you were holding and choose to pay a percentage of it to actually claim it. I am thinking the standard entry fee would be charged along with the tax. This way if you just wanted to play you could without any monies spent.

That is same as giving away items/resources for free since the prize was not paid for by the players in first place.

Unless somehow one can not proceed to exit without paying for the in-dungeon currency where the reward is less than the in-dungeon currency paid (In which case, would be same as an entry fee)

I guess your asking for a free to play version where there is no prize …but the game play is base on getting prize :sweat_smile:

I am a huge fan of this initiative and other community ideas for games. I am exceptionally excited about this because I see a path towards actual execution. Pixelcraft mentioned an initiative to incentivize building games on the protocol, and I would love to see this take advantage of that pathway.

2 Likes

What i am saying is pretty much what you just said. Nothing will be just given away. Its just an option IF the free to play wanted to keep the items that they picked up, they would have to pay the “exit fee” of a portion of their loot would back to the DAO/RF and that they would still have to pay a fee that would be more than the standard entrance fee.

I think it’s best to have free 2 play paths to get in. Perhaps Gotchi looses channelling for the day, or you can find or earn ‘tickets’ around the verse ? Might actually be better to have cooldowns anyway and not allow people just to spam pay their way in (builds anticipation + perhaps stops bots a little…)

1 Like

1 kin entry to kick it off?

1 Like

No, I don’t want a game without prizes, I want a game where it’s acknowledged we already paid a lot of money for an entry fee and the prize structure revolves around that. Rewards can be NFTs, where in theory there’s no limit to the amount that can be given out. Or monetary rewards based on an amount being generated by the game.

If people need to spend a bunch of money to get into the ecosystem, then continue to spend money just to play a game, that doesn’t seem very appealing to me. The game needs to be designed in a way to not continue asking players for money who’ve already spent a lot of money (in comparison to a normal gaming experience) just to play.

If it’s designed as part of the game where spending is optional/gives you some advantage, that’s fine to me, but to make it mandatory seems like too much.

Let’s take Yuga Labs’ Dookey Dash for example, which by all accounts has been a wild success. Their holders were airdropped a pass and the game was free to play for them. But they could choose to spend their currency to give them a temporary boost. That’s the kind of model we should be aiming for.

3 Likes

I agree that would be the ideal situation.

But when someone paid to get into the ecosystem at this point
their ghst goes to the asset holder not the dao (except for the 3% bazar fee, which only 1 % goes to the dao)

This game is asking for 1 million dollar to develop. There would need to be a trade volume of 100 million ghst just to cover the dev cost. (Assuming all prize are free nft or badges)

The game doesn’t need to directly or immediately recover the cost of development. Just getting people into the ecosystem can be part of its value. I think the idea of telling someone they have to pay hundreds of dollars for a gotchi then continue paying just to play this DAO built game seems like a pretty hard sell.

Lets say we get more people into the system.

The system currently has no sink.

They buy gotchi/wearable … play this game for free

Maybe they build farms / aatlar (more issuance)

Not sure how this work

1 Like

Also, 40% of 20 million is 8 million …this is asking for 1 million and you have other cost too

Like I said above, games should have alch sinks, they just shouldn’t be mandatory. They should give you buffs within the game.

1 Like

I’m sure that it could (and should) be broken down into stages and demo releases/etc.