Proposal to start Haunt 3

We’ve seen a big dilution of supply and prices show that. The closed portal floor plummeted from 2500 to 500 GHST, with another 3k raffle supply ready to enter the market. Floor gotchis dropped from 900 to 300. That’s 80% and 66% price reductions respectively.

We’ve definitely seen a new influx of users over the past couple weeks, but that doesn’t necessarily mean new users will infinitely increase with new supply. I don’t think the original H2 advocates in the community, nor the devs, set the expectation that H2 would instantly create an ultra-low price point or bring Aavegotchi to mass adoption, which is a gradual process that can’t be brute forced.

The strongest driver of new users will be a feature-rich game and marketing. New/improved gameplay including the Aarcade and the Realm will generate interest and distribute Gotchis to more people. Rarity farming S2 is coming. We ought to focus on those things, and let H2 market dynamics play out.

I agree with @Mori’s point. It might make sense to tie the Haunts to a pre-determined schedule and number of portals to observable metrics related to adoption, like new user wallets.

2 Likes

If we had the metaverse, a functional arcade, a huge visible marketing campaign, and 30,000+ people ready to engage in the game, then a 50k H3 would sound great. Until then, it would be crazy (and it would show everyone that we have no idea what we’re doing).

I appreciate the pushback this proposal gives to the adoption-over-all H2 advocates, but as far as actually being a good idea to improve aavegotchi, it would be shooting ourselves in the leg.

8 Likes

And I just see a resentful hypocrite changing their tune after they got a high BRS H2:

You made this post Jun 16 when GHST was 0.98 USDC , ser.

H1 open portals were on balance with current open H2 portals in USD terms.
Affordability hasn’t gotten better, only the contents of your individual wallet have changed.

It’s funny to see some people change their opinions on prices, scarcity, affordability, etc. AFTER they have received their two wishes in one: temporarily low prices they could game, and another long standing wish of nerfing whales somehow.

Whales, OGs, bagholders, whatever name you want to call them- have paid very dearly for the sake of adoption, via an intrinsic nerf they didn’t even know existed.

It’s probably a subset of 50 or less people: OG’s that wanted temporary low prices and better gotchis than day 1 buyers (evil whales?). I speculate their next campaign will be temporarily affordable myth and GL wearables, haha. “But noooooooooooo more gotchi/BRS dilution nooooo that part is fine now” they’ll keep saying.

I say, let’s shoot for real adoption now instead of protecting a few H2 bagholders that have been trying to use the DAO to manipulate supply and prices all along for their own selfish reasons.

I also like the idea of airdrops and potentially focusing on other distribution methods, rather than only thinking in terms of ‘haunts’. I feel Haunts should be carefully timed at key moments to match market conditions, and keep them as rare/special events.

4 Likes

Affordability has gotten much better since June. You are forgetting GBM bid to earn which was a big redistribution of GHST and H2 portal raffles where you just need to stake GHST to accumulate drop tickets.

I am not against a H3, just not so soon since the end of H2. And not with such as huge increase in the supply at once. Also I think dev effort needs to be focused on the REALM as the priority.

I thought H2 was marketed quite well, I am wondering how many more unique users you will get with a big marketing campaign for H3 to start shortly, or will the supply just end up in the hands of mostly our existing player base.

4 Likes

To be clear, I side with the initial response by @Deltarune that the timing of H3 would probably be best around realm launch, so people can afford a gotchi around then.

Considering Axie Infinity Entry cost you also 500+ dollars or more for a better team and yet alot of people are still getting in. The difference is they already implemented a play-to-earn system already.
That is why people are confident they can get back what they initially invested even if it costs a ton of money.

I think what we need now is more exposure and marketing before we initiate another Haunt preferably when REALM updates are launched.

5 Likes

Hi there,
Looking at the bazaar activity these days idk if flooding the market with more portals and gotchi is the way to go. Before thinking about haunt 3 and what’s to come we should see how the market is going to react to the many updates that are planned. Also a free market will find it’s equilibrium naturally with the supply and demand. So i think we should try and be patient , as many said haunt 3 shouldn’t be a priority and looking at axie infinity the price “barrier” didn’t affect the huge user base that they developed which took some time. hope it makes sense .
Cheers frens

also gotchi lending/renting would solve this “barrier” and the cheapest gotchi being under 300 ghst rn makes it cheaper than some of this pfp mints

2 Likes

To maximise growth impact from a psychological point of view, I think Haunt 3 should one to two weeks after the Realm launch.
The Realm launch will generate a lot of attention and motivation to get involved. Then Haunt 3 will facilitate that motivation with a more affordable entry point.

2 Likes

I’m one of the new H2 smolholders, and very happy indeed to be here. New to crypto in Feb\March and by the time I decided that I wanted aavegotchi to be one of my core investments, it really was too expensive to enter as a complete newbie. So H2 has definitely worked as intended for me.
I’d like to make 2 points:

1. Mass uptake would prolly be easiest from folks who have seen and loved the gotchi’s themselves on socials, checked out the incredibly frenly community but not necessarily read much about the ecosystem. I believe that they would be more likely to buy a gotchi from the bazaar rather than go through the learning curve for successfully bidding in an auction. So getting those people involved might be best achieved by providing an easy pathway for them to be able to buy cheaper gotchi’s in the bazaar, as most of them may not even be looking for higher BRS to farm with. How you’d actually do this without them getting snapped up by existing owners I’m not so sure! BTW, as far as I’m concerned those auctions are bloody brilliant!!! Well done, team.
  2. More canny investors who have read the docs but haven’t onboarded yet might be looking at realm as an entry point, so let’s not sidetrack them by putting in H3 before that. But H3 after realm would definitely suit those people, who are going to be a smaller cohort than the people in 1. above.
1 Like

One way to offset the dilution would be to have more airdrops of raffle tickets or eventually in game assets or wearables to H1 gotchis as was done with the recent raffle…?

Adding my experience as someone who participated in H1, but joined well after the initial sale of H1 portals and items. Also as someone who was very new to anything in the crypto community besides buying and selling major coins on Coinbase. I undestood the concept of NFTs for a couple years prior, but had not participated in any meaningful way other than reading and watching stuff about it. Gotchis were amongst my first NFT purchases.

A short mention of Aavegotchi on the NonFunGerbils podcast convinced me 90% of the way that Aavegotchi was a good investment. It was also a good and safe introduction to DeFi world, since Aave tokens are a required part of the experience. Also a great intro into alt chains, with Polygon. And intro into farming and rewards for farming. Just so so much introduction into the wider world of crypto with just one game, was really amazing. And H2 and the GBM has been a smash for me, thanks to devs and whole community for making that happen!

But, at the time I joined, there were two big turn-offs.

One was not getting to participate in the buying and opening of portals at the original price. I knew much of NFT success goes to those who got there first and therefore get the biggest fruits, but it nevertheless felt sad to miss out just barely. I was very much for a H2 launching quickly at the time, and felt snubbed that the proposal at the time didn’t pass despite what seemed like an obvious majority being for it, due to the nuance of how many votes you need to pass a vote depending on whether there are 2 options in the vote vs. 3, 4, or 5. However, that was resolved by just being patient. H2 is here and it’s been a great time and fun to participate in!

And the second was the lack of any kind game that I, an unknowing newb, was expecting to have. As an outsider who loves gaming but knows nothing about DeFi, it felt like a bit of a bait and switch to invest in these gotchis with a significant amount of money, assuming there must be some kind of traditional game to use them in, only to find that there’s… just petting. All this work to understand and maximize stats, and… there’s no gameplay to use them with.

After sticking with it, I’ve since learned that the REAL game is learning and participating in the wider crypto concepts that Aavegotchi exposes you to, and having your gotchi fren be there to keep you company throughout and to kind of hide the fact that you’re learning stuff, and I’m super happy I stuck with it. But it was a big hump to get over.

So… in summary :slight_smile: I’d say wait for H3. It will come eventually anyway, and it will be worth the wait. If you really want to get adoption moving… there’s gotta be a game that hooks more of the misunderstanding noobs like me to just play anyway because it’s fun, and then get snared into the deeper concepts like I fortunately did after sticking with it despite the lack of a game. There’s been a ton of community-made games, and the gaame jaam just happened, and those have all been great starts, so maybe just keep that up or put more official support behind them, and with a little time we’ll be good.

In shorter summary, I’m a no on launching H3 at least before the new year. Give the rest of the gotchi universe time to flower and bloom first.

6 Likes

I wish there was some way to ensure that newbs could always buy their first portal at a set, relatively low price, without making it infinite supply or making it exploitable so they can all be gobbled up by savvy frens that can circumvent the newb-check.

I agree, pair the next Haunt w/ launch of the gotchiverse would be a bigger draw for new frens. I don’t think the platform itself is ready for “mass adoption” based on what is available to gotchi owners currently.

3 Likes

Mass adoption will not be achieved by cheapening the product for the masses but rather producing quality. If we go down the road of inflating the amount of gotchi’s we might end up like crypto kitties and be flooded with NFTs that are essentially worthless. The reason why Haunt 2 gotchis are going for 500 GHST in the aftermarket is because Aavegotchi is a quality product and diluting the gotchis will reduce the quality.

I don’t think introducing more Aavegotchi’s into the ecosystem is the way to strengthen and grow the Gotchiverse. Owning an Aavegotchi is something players and investors should strive for. I don’t know how the game will be played once the Realm is launched. But, I think the game will be more exciting with a bunch of newcomers playing as Liquidators. The goal of a Liquidator may be to own an Aavegotchi one day. If the game is being played by everyone acting as both an Aavegotchi and Liquidator, it’s just not that appealing. Maybe, we try to redistribute existing Aavegotchi’s to future owners. Instead of using low rarity Aavegotchi’s as XP mules, we put them in a system where Liquidators can somehow claim them. Maybe Liquidators earn their own XP and they can enter a raffle to win a redistributed Aavegotchi. The Aavegotchi’s submitted for redistribution, or unopened portals, could in return receive unique wearables. IDK how it should all work, but I definitely do not believe entry into the Gotchiverse should be by acquiring a cheap Aavegotchi.

1 Like

i think its time to revisit this proposal with the realm launching at the end of this month, we need fresh haunts to occupy the abundance of land relative to the number of gotchis at the moment, why not do a GBM for H3 after the realm launch instead of a land GBM? Or both at the same time!

I think the consensus is that real demand must be obvious (using metrics) before H3. We launched H2 because of a few loud voices saying we needed more, but in the end we didn’t onboard many new users thru it. But as soon as the metrics are there, I’ll be for it!

6 Likes

With the lending services we already have capacity for 25,000 players. Given that, we have a ton of room to scale from our current community size. Another haunt is not necessary at this moment.

8 Likes